We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments.
In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast.
Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent and that's where you come in.....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for an experienced security engineer who’s independent, excited about getting things done, and ready to hit the ground running. You'll primarily be responsible for our application security, working with our product teams to work on new systems to enhance our security posture.
Our customers trust us with their money, and you’ll be at the forefront of making sure we retain that trust!
This broadly scoped role will allow you to get your hands on many different types of security projects, from direct application security to helping our infrastructure team think about security for our databases.
Some experience with common industry certifications like ISO-27001 and PCI-DSS would be beneficial, although you won’t be expected to run or oversee audits.
Our to-do list changes constantly, but here are some recent projects:
- Centralize application-level login and permissions enforcement
- Develop a data protection inventory
- Security review of our public-facing APIs
- Work with our IT Team to fix any non-conformities found during audits by central banks and ISO certification.
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable internet access.
- Wave covers travel once per year to one of our operating countries in Africa, as well as a yearly stipend of $800 to meet with coworkers.
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula. For this role, depending on your level of experience, we offer a salary range of $138,400 - $160,000 USD (or local equivalent), plus a generous equity.
- We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses or promotions to strong performers who have been with the company for more than six months
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country).
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance.
- Flexible vacation, with most folks taking between 30-40 days per year.
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching.
- Yearly travel to one of our African operating countries.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience with a minimum of 2 years of it spent in a security-related role
- Strong Experience with Python.
- Fluent English.
You might be a good fit if you
- Are excited about finding the right balance between security and velocity.
- Push through hard problems without giving up.
- Have experience remediating non-conformities
- Enjoy helping other engineers understand and implement secure patterns.
- Are not afraid to take on complicated systems.
- Are excited to work on lots of different security-related work, from audits to code refactors.
- Work to make things easier for the next engineer who will touch your code.
- Always try to improve as a programmer and colleague.
- Are interested in security-focused source code review and penetration testing.
- Have an interest in growing and mentoring a team.
About Engineering at Wave
You'll report directly to the Director of Platform, likely rotating with many of our Product and Platform teams, depending on the project you’re working on. Each team is led by a product manager and mentored by a technical lead on the team.
You’ll be responsible for your own security projects as well as supporting the engineering organization on security through advice and design review. We organize things to give you as much ownership as possible, so you'll typically be in charge of your projects from planning to delivery.
Our stack (you only need prior experience with python and cloud technologies, if you need to work with anything else, we’ll train you):
- backend: Python 3 (+ mypy)
- API layer: GraphQL
- Android frontend: Kotlin/Jetpack
- iOS frontend: Swift/SwiftUI
- web frontend: TypeScript/React
- database: Postgres
- infrastructure: GCP / Terraform
- orchestration: Kubernetes
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.