We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments.
In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast.
Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent and that's where you come in.....
How you'll help us achieve it
We are looking for a well-rounded Senior Brand Designer and creative to help our team define and grow Wave’s brand identity and activations. This isn’t just any ordinary fintech company. We’re a passionate, global remote team on a mission to build financial inclusion for Africa.
The Brand Designer will have an important responsibility in shaping and leading Wave’s growing brand identity and will play a key role in forming visuals and creating assets for Marketing, Distribution and People teams. This is a highly collaborative role that will report to the Brand Design Manager and work closely with other Designers, Marketing Managers and Product Managers of different countries, to make extraordinary brand design work.
As a Brand Designer, you’ll:
- Lead the design and creative process of all brand design materials
- Prepare and present creative vision, concepts, and completed designs to multiple stakeholders
- Oversee and maintain ownership of work from concept through to production
- Work on multiple projects at once with ease
- Ensure all marketing materials have a creative yet consistent look
- Work holistically across print, environments design, digital design content, motion, and graphic design
- Work closely with a passionate, cross functional team responsible for strategizing, ideating and producing a variety of marketing assets
- Collaborate on design reviews by seeking and giving meaningful and supportive feedback
- Help grow our inclusive design team culture with your solution-oriented attitude and unique personality
- Show curiosity at every stage of the process
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access.
- Wave covers travel once per year to one of our operating countries in Africa, as well as a yearly stipend of $800 to meet with coworkers nearby to your home location
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula. For this role, we offer a salary of $88,300 USD (or local equivalent), plus generous equity.
- This is a permanent position
- We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses or promotions to strong performers who have been with the company for more than six months
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Flexible vacation, with most folks taking between 30-40 days per year
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Fluent in English with a minimum of 5 years design experience in startups or agencies, working with a variety of teams and projects
- A strong portfolio showcasing detail-oriented design work and strategic problem solving
- Excellence in typography, color, layout and composition
- Natural storyteller with a demonstrated ability to rationalize decisions and communicate concepts
- Mastery of Adobe CC and Figma
- Interest in creating polished and conversion-focused marketing campaigns
- A growth mindset and eager to learn new things
- Desire to thrive within a fast-paced environment with a variety of design challenges
- Aptitude to work in a multicultural and multilingual environment
- Great interpersonal skills
Nice to have:
- French language communication skills
- Remote working experience
- Experience or interest in art direction for motion animation
You might be a good fit if you
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- Are a self-starter and proactive about achieving ambitious targets
- Are able to work quickly and take initiative for projects
- Embrace collaboration in the creative process and cross-functional communication
- Have experience giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems
- Are intellectually curious - creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication when it comes to coordination. Priorities can change quickly and making sure everyone is on the same page is important
- Are a strategic thinker and able to see an idea from conception to execution
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.