We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. Now, we have millions of users across six countries and are growing fast.
Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent and that's where you come in.....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Tax Accountant who’s resourceful, organized, and proactive about getting things done. You'll be responsible for helping develop and maintain an effective financial and accounting unit as we rapidly scale our business in Côte d’Ivoire.
In this role, you'll:
- Support the Finance and Accounting Manager in day-to-day work.
- Be responsible for managing the company's tax affairs under the supervision of the Finance Lead.
- Book accounting entries.
- Prepare tax provisions schedules, returns, payments, and reports and maintain a company’s tax database.
- Detect errors from incorrect tax filings.
- Provide financial information by researching and analyzing accounting data.
- Find tax solutions to complicated tax issues.
- Recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Handle financial close tasks under the Assistant Controller’s supervision.
- Advise management about the impact of tax liabilities and corporate strategies or new tax laws.
- Keep up-to-date with tax changes and industry trends by participating in educational opportunities and professional organizations, keeping up with professional networks, and reading professional publications.
- Maintain confidence and protect operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Accurately prepare quarterly and annual tax reports.
- Lead by living Wave's values and ensure they're deeply engrained within your team.
- The location is in Abidjan.
- Work authorization in Côte d’Ivoire is required.
- This is a permanent position.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We offer generous health insurance for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships and fitness classes.
- Airtime reimbursement.
- Free food and a beautiful office space.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting or Tax.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a similar position.
- Strong experience with financial reporting requirements.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Fluent in English - this role will interact regularly with non-French speakers.
- Good computer skills, especially in Word and Excel.
You might be a good fit if you
- Possess strong accounting, tax, and reporting skills.
- Are excessively detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a critical thinker who likes to challenge the status quo.
- Are deadline-orientated.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Know how to maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions while managing time factors.
- Have corporate tax experience directly related to filing multi-state payroll and sales.
- Have experience in a multi-entity reporting environment.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world.
- We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We raised the largest Series A in Africa in 2021. Our world-class investors, include Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and Partech Africa.
- In 2022, we were on Y Combinator's top 50 companies by revenue.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Please add a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role.
Wave is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.